Saturday, November 22, 2008

My Saviour & A Whirlwind Affair of Manila


(Sorry..hehehe..only got time for the title - for now!)

Updated:

The guy came to sit beside me while waiting for boarding call, after a group of ladies went off. I wasn’t too keen on talking to him, after all he’s stranger. “Mau ke conference di Manila? Kok kita sama-lah gitu…”
Maybe he noticed the paper (academic not newspaper ok) that I was holding & pretending to read.

I can’t remember what exactly happen after that (no further talk) due to the confusion (gate changes) during boarding call for another flight, to Menado (I’ve checked the info: it’s far off to the east side of Borneo Island – best for diving). Somehow he was in front of the line and thus when I came on board, he’s already waving for me to join him. Since there’s no other better choice, not that I knew anyone else, I let him put away my bag & sat down only to discover the horror that awaited me. (refer previous entry)

----
What makes me decide the way I did?

Well, even though I’m travelling alone, I’m supposed to meet The Other Person (TOP) later in the evening at the conference hotel. TOP and others in The Unplanned Contingent were taking the More Reasonable Hour of Noon flight by M*S, with the fare paid from People’s Coffer. (I was worried too about the fact that I was to bunk with this Other Person. What if I snore? Talk in my sleep (both B and V can attest to these facts)? Will I get less in terms of …? Alas, the so-called problem resolved itself. He he..lagi mau explain ka? Well, I am early to bed, early to rise kind of person. The Other Person lagilah early, so…*keepingmum&lipssealedtight*
___
However, here was the logistics:

The Diamond Hotel is in Manila Bay area. The airport for Low Cost Carrier-Budget Traveller-Poor Students like moi is situated a ‘short’ distance away (M*S land in Ninoy Aquino airport which is only a real short distance to the hotel), unlike the 2 ½ hour bus ride (Philtranco specifically caters for AirAsia’s passengers) from Pampanga aka former US airbase aka Clark aka Diosdidos Macapagal airport (official name), taking into account the traffic conditions (getting a free city bus tour in the bargain – lotsa sexy billboards – melopong den!) since we’re like: going wide across the city! The bus fare cost 350 pesos to the last bus station – actually there is only a middle one: SM Megamall short stop (to drop off passengers) for 300 pesos. From the Pasay bus station to the hotel was another matter altogether – a chat with a local nice guy revealed an estimated figure of 500-600 pesos.

So, I was thinking that at most I needed to borrow around 1000 pesos from him. If the wallet was totally gone (redha), I can always borrow from TOP in order to pay him back & put aside the same amount for the return journey. And pay TOP only once I’m back, safe & sound in homeland. I’d no worry over food & accommodation – after all it’s a 5 stars hotel konon! And I wasn’t required to pay a single cent! Oh, forget about buying souvenirs then….

----
And there came my hero!! He was So Kind, offering to buy me food or drinks in-flight (eventually I sat behind him, beside two balik bayan Pinoy who must have thought that I was calmly-weird since I asked the whereabouts of the hotel (that I’d be staying) what with lost wallet, no money or credits and all…). But then, I was so worried inside such that (like I said earlier) nak telan air liur pun tak lalu!! He (the Indon, not the Pinoys who worked in Kulim Park in a backbreaking cement factory – no Rags to Riches story there) reassured me time and again….I’m forever indebted to him!

----
Towards the end of the bus ride, after Pasay & I already shared my delicious-canned chilli-tuna sandwich with a Chinese guy from Malaysia (he, Pak C, had to decline my offer due to an upset tummy), talked to another Pinoy guy – who work as a carpenter in Brunei (hohoho…rad the shyster/pemalu is no more!) I discovered that there were other Malaysians on-board. There was an Indian lady – she commuted quite often (to and fro), especially to attend to the church service over there – like bayar nazar or something, so she said! There was a group of Indian businessmen (quite old, some with wifey) on a pleasure trip, one of whom asked whether I’m from Kedah: Uh? Do I look like one? Is it like printed on my forehead? The Chinese guy was merely accompanying his girlfriend – also to the same conference! There were quite a couple of others who already dropped off at the SM Megamall stop since they’re staying at a relatively cheaper hotel – Bayview hehehe…There’s also another balik bayan Pinoy, a lady who speak an obviously Malaysian English from Penang who has the kindest bos ever who makes money from only selling water! So her job is to put on the labelling…(Note to self: Must get into water-bottling business soon)

The best part is yet to come!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

wah suspense seehhhhh... :P

love the iced tea....a drink of many possibilities!
hehehe

Lee said...

Hi Rad, hmmm, that looks more like it, a real romantic setting for a ahemm, whirlwind affair.
Bet two moons came up, and 5 shooting stars wizzzed by, huh?
Have fun Rad, live your life with no excuses, love with no regrets, Lee.

rad said...

Pp,
A ghost story coming up next and then only The Whole Affair thing he he..

The ice tea definitely one of the best that I've ever drank...maybe the circumstance made it so eh?

rad said...

UL,
I do not your flair of writing a romantic piece but I'll try my best ok?

Taking my own sweet time -rad